Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Guns Germs and Steel

I thought this excerpt was very interesting and above all, very informative. I really feel that I learned a lot, but unfortunately, the only thing it mentioned about the Aztecs was about how foolish Montezuma was in thinking Cortez was a god and letting him into their city of Tenochtitlan. Other than that though, I feel that I sure gained a lot of knowledge, for instance, before I read this, I understood that the Europeans had vastly superior weaponry and immunities compared to the indigenous peoples of the Americas, but I had no idea that it was the difference between Steel, one of the strongest metals, and wood, a crude and poor weapon. I was astonished to find out that the Aztecs, Incans and other tribes were using bronze, woven armor and even rocks to defend themselves, versus that Spaniards who had full body armor and strong, heavy swords, guns and horses to ride upon. I am very glad that we were given this packet and I think it will continue to benefit me even after tonight, I can use it as a valuable resource for my project on the Aztecs and although I may want to try to stay away from the fact that they were so brutally slaughtered, I can use this packet to talk about their technology during those times and maybe even battle strategies.

No comments: